Tuesday, April 20, 2010

It's Time for a Test

Everyone hates taking a test. Our first experience with tests were in school--pop quizzes, chapter tests, finals, SAT's. They were enough to give you nightmares--anxiety dreams. Even when you finally get out of school the testing doesn't stop. We have drivers' tests, employment evaluation tests, eye exams and various tests in health evaluations......it seems the testing never stops no matter what our age. Like death and taxes it's another thing we can count on in life.

Even though we don't like tests they are really good for us. They help us to evaluate our knowledge/strengths versus our lack of knowledge/or weaknesses. Tests can be uses helpful aides toward improvements when used properly........ So are you ready to take a test to gage your wisdom. Evaluate yourself--it might be the best test you've ever taken.

Question #1. Do you listen to what God says through His Word and through your elders? How well do you handle correction from God and your elders?
  • A wise person will welcome reproof and instruction because he wants to become wiser. A fool will remain a fool.

[I would like to think I take correction and instruction well, but I know in times past I remember my feathers getting ruffled and my nose bent out of shape. I realize from hindsight it was an issue of pride in my heart.]


Question #2. Do you reflect on and remember what God and your elders say? What kind of soil is your heart?

  • Being "good soil" is no accident. Biblical meditation is one such way and it can't be done on the run or on the spur of the moment. If you are truly reflecting on God's Word you should be able to point to extended periods of time in your schedule that are devoted to time with God.

[This is one area I need to develop more. I have sensed the Holy Spirit having something more to say to me but my mind gets distracted with things of the day. I must work real hard to keep focused while I'm with God.]


Question #3. Do you do what God and your elders say? Do you find yourself thinking of reasons not to obey God or your leaders? Are you quick to find an excuse to justify your lack of compliance?

  • Oftentimes we meditate on a lie (our excuse) until we begin to believe it. We rationalize disobedience to God and other authorities and become self-deceived. Obedience is always an act of love toward someone; it is never merely compliance with a rule.

[I have learned that some of my past obedience was just an act of self-love because I looked for approval from others or my obedience got me what I wanted. My obedience was not always motivated in love to please God or those in authority over me.]


Question #4. Do you persevere in what God and your elders say? Do you follow through even though you must pay an unexpected price for enduring?

  • An unwillingness to pay the price is most often the reason spouses bail out of marriages, teens bail out on their families, families bail out on their good Bible-believing churches and employees bail out of their jobs. They encounter difficulties they did not anticipate and eventually decide that they should not deny self any longer.

[I oftentimes prided myself as a person who persevered and didn't quit when things got tough. Since it was done in pride it was also being done in my own strength and in my own way. I have learned this does not please God. When those works are tried at the judgment they will burn as wood, hay and stubble. God desires my dependence on Him through trust and obedience. The question must remember to ask myself is it never what will please me in this decision but what will please God.] This test of wisdom was found in Change Into His Image by Jim Berg.

No comments:

Post a Comment