Friday, April 30, 2010

Being Lukewarm

How can we behold God's works and His glory and all its greatness and still remain lukewarm?

I didn't go very far in my study this morning because this paragraph just caused me to stop.....

"Why is it we find that people exercise their affections in everything else but religion?!?! When it comes to their worldly interest, their outward delights, their honor and reputation, and their natural relations, they have warm affection and ardent zeal. In these things their hearts are tender and sensitive, easily moved, deeply impressed, much concerned, and much engrossed. They get deeply depressed at worldly losses, and highly excited at worldly successes. But how insensible and dull then are their affections! Here their love is cold, their desires languid, their zeal low and their gratitude small. How can they sit and hear of the infinite height, depth, length and breadth of the love of God in Christ Jesus, of His gift of His infinitely dear Son offered up as a sacrifice for the sins of men, and yet be so insensible and regardless?!?!

Is it any wonder then that so few believers of the next generation want what we portray to possess? Who would want to be like us? If we are not known to be God-loving believers by our obvious devotion and obedient service for the Lover of our soul, why should those who follow us bother with Him either?"

[Thank you Lord, for these words to ponder on. It seems I naturally set my affections on what physically affects my senses around me. How do I work this verse in my heart? "...love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might" --Deuteronomy 6:5........Help me to fill my soul with your life-giving Word.......Help me to listen obediently to the promptings of your Spirit........Help me to delight myself in extended times of devotion with You, God.......Help me to live my life with eternities values in view.]

Excerpt taken from Changed into His Image by Jim Berg

No comments:

Post a Comment