Monday, April 12, 2010

The Crowning Virtue of Character

Endurance is continued obedience to God even under pressure. In Hebrews 11 it shows us how endurance is doing right even though is cost many of them their lives...it is the crowning virtue of character.

Jesus was our great example of such endurance. "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." --Philippians 2:5-11

It is a cross/death kind of obedience that says "I'll die before I disobey my Heavenly Father." This kind of endurance is not the stubborn self-will of a person who refuses to give in because he believes he is right. It is a believer's refusal to betray the Father by looking out for himself. It is the Christlike mindset that denies everything dear to itself. There are so many verses of Christ example through scripture.

  • " Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work." --John 4:34
  • "For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me." ---John 6:38
  • "....I do always those things that please him." --John 8:29
  • " I honour my Father.... And I seek not mine own glory." --John 8:49-50
  • "I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world." --John 9:4-5
  • "...I lay down my life....This commandment have I received of my Father." --John 10:17-18
  • "Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour. Father, glorify thy name...." --John 12:27-28

[When I examine my Christian walk to the likeness of Christ and I am in awe of wonder how Jesus had carried out His life in such complete obedience......He lived His earthly life in this body of flesh yet without sin. My brain is just too small to imagine what He endured in obedience to be the perfect, spotless, blameless sacrifice for our sins. My life is always falling short.....there is no righteousness within me. Help me LORD, the life I desire and the changes I would make I cannot do on my own. Please work these changes in me.........]

No comments:

Post a Comment