Thursday, January 21, 2010

When Good is Wrong because it wasn't Right

Did it sound like my title is talking in circling or incomprehensible?

Well I am confessing I did just that today. Last night I went to sleep thinking on the theme of our ladies' retreat this year--"For Such a Time as This." I am so excited for all its potential from the decorating to the spiritual applications. Well, this morning when Kevin's alarm went off before mine, I didn't go back to sleep. My mind just seemed to pick up from where it left off the night before. I started to think of different things I might look up on the Internet. So once I got up that is exactly what I did. After I was dressed I pretty much went straight for the computer. With some anxiety my little dog was able to pull me way long enough to let him outside and then give him his medicine. He also got his breakfast but I went straight back to my Internet searching. I did find some ideas for music that went along with the theme and will pass them on to those in charge of music. So I wasn't unfruitful in my labors.

By 10:30 my conscience started to get the best of me. I really needed to start my day. I hadn't even had my breakfast yet. So I firmly made myself step away from the computer at the same time pulling my cell phone off the charger and turning it on. As I'm walking out to the kitchen in comes a text message from my husband. He is asking me out to lunch today at NOON! So I texted back "sure" and we decided where to meet.

I had just over an hour to get my act together. I decide to skip my usual breakfast and just had a chunk of pork roast with my vitamins. I may have been dressed but it wasn't in clothes I wanted to go out in. And my hair was still a mess and my face was undone. Argh! But not to panic it was all do-able. Ladies, you all would be proud of me, I was changed, face done, hair done and out the door in time to have lunch with Kevin. We've been married 30 years and I love our spontaneous little dates.

Now you might ask yourself, did I hide the truth on how I spent my morning? No, I confessed everything to him. Even the fact that I still had not done my Bible devotions & study. Then our conversation led to the thoughts of this title. You see, I was doing a good thing with good intentions as I looked different things up on the Internet for the ladies retreat. But it was wrong of me to do them before my Bible devotions, breakfast, etc, etc, etc. The right thing I should have done was my time with God first. To be on track with our day we need to start with God. I did a good thing, but not the right thing.

Just so you know when I got back home I corrected my error and had my time with God.

2 comments:

  1. OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! My toes are swollen and sore!!! I am so guilty of this myself. Isn't there a saying that goes something like "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions"? This lesson and the one on satan's deceptiveness fits perfectly in that saying.

    ReplyDelete