Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Have It Your Way

Years ago Burger King advertised its hamburgers by telling us that we could have any number of options on our burgers. I'm sure many of you could sing their little jiggle right along with me...."Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders won't upset us, all we ask is that you let us serve it your way. Have it your way, have it your way...." I don't know if it helped them to sell more burgers but it certainly appealed to man's most basic desire.

In the garden of Eden Satan did not tempt Adam & Eve to steal, to lie, to kill or to commit adultry; he tempted them to live independent of God. The fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil looked good. They wanted to taste it so they did. They desired to have their own way.

God has a lot to say about our own heart throughout the scriptures.

"...every man did that which was right in his own eyes" --Judges 17:6

"So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust: and they walked in their own counsels." --Psalms 81:12

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding." --Proverbs 3:5

"Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil."
--Proverbs 3:7

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes" --Proverbs 12:15

"Labour not to be rich: cease from thine own wisdom." --Proverbs 23:4

"He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool." --Proverbs 28:26

"Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!" --Isaiah 5:21

"...Be not wise in your own conceits." --Romans 12:16

"[Love]Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own..."
--1Corinthians 13:5

"For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's."
--Philippians 2:21

"For men shall be lovers of their own selves..." --2Timothy 3:2

"These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts..."
--Jude 1:16

Isn't it something to see how God targets man's own way as our most basic problem. Because a heart that wants its own way is in opposition to God's way.

[This is an excerpt taken from "Changed Into His Image" that I really liked. So I thought I would share it here.]

1 comment:

  1. As I was reading the first paragraph, I immediately thought of how selfish mankind is and how everyone wants everything their own way. Example: Midcontinent has an advertisement for their DVR's and they say something like, "I want it, and I want it NOW". There's more to it but everytime I see that advertisement, I realize what a wretched state mankind is living in. I will be desperatly happy when the Lord changes this vile body of mine into something incorruptible!

    ReplyDelete