Thursday, May 6, 2010

God's Love Versus Self-Love (Part 3)

"Just two choices on the self--loving God or loving self"
1 Corinthians 13

GOD'S LOVE

  • Doth not behave itself unseemly (vs. 5)--sacrificing self by being a lady or gentleman; doesn't present the love of God in an ugly, misshapen way; is proper and courteous; does the right thing at the right time. "

SELF-LOVE

  • Is rude, crude, boorish; draws attention to self by being loud, silly, moody, harsh, or having poor manners, inappropriate actions, words, timing; giving too much attention to fashion (fads) or appearance (flashy or dowdy). "I can't help it. That's just the way I am." "I do what I want when I want to do it."

GOD'S LOVE

  • Seeketh not her own (vs. 5)--sacrificing self by not demanding rights; is not selfish; is a servant; gives; is not grasping for "my rights, my time, my money, my comfort, my things" (Romans 12:10; Philippians 2:3).

SELF-LOVE

  • Is selfish; rejects God's way for own way; seeks to please self. "I demand my rights." "I am right!" "I want my way!" What I want is more important than what you want!" "It's my _________ ; I'll do what I want with it."

No comments:

Post a Comment