Wednesday, May 5, 2010

God's Love Versus Self-Love (Part 1)

[I found this charter for self-evaluation. So for the next several days I'll post a couple new section for us to ponder on through our day. We must ask our self this question, "How do others see me?" Self-evaluation is hard. We must be honest with our self. And we must be willing to listen to the Holy Spirit?]

"Just two choices on the self--loving God or loving self"
1 Corinthians 13

GOD'S LOVE

  • Suffereth long (vs. 4)--sacrificing self to wait for God's way and timing; is patient; has the divine power to wait; is long-fused; doesn't retaliate even when it has the power; gives to others not what they deserve but what God gave us!

SELF-LOVE

  • Desires own way and own timing; suffers if can't have its way now!; is impatient; resents any departure from own schedule; won't wait for God to work; snaps at people. "I want it this way, and I want it now!" "I will teach him a lesson he won't soon forget!"

GOD'S LOVE

  • Is kind (vs. 4)--sacrificing self to meet others' needs; has passion to be active and useful in the lives of others; is kind in words and deeds; does the unexpected, undeserved, and unrewarded.

SELF-LOVE

  • Is nasty and hurtful in words and deeds; acts in favor of "me" instead of others; always puts conditions on others' love. "Why should I do that for them? They didn't do it for me." "Others? It's all I can do to deep up with my wants and needs."

No comments:

Post a Comment