Saturday, February 13, 2010

Distractions

The past couple of days have been days of distraction. I've tried to think of something to write for my blog. I like to share things that speak to me or has provoked me to think. But the past couple of days I have noticed my attitude is struggling with obedience in the morning to work on my bible study and my prayer time. I just want to get through it and get it done because I have other things that I need to do.

My lessons are getting harder. They are invading my comfort zone. God has been making me aware of areas of disobedience. I think I have allowed distractions in my mind because I didn't want to hear the Holy Spirit conviction. Squelching the Spirt when He convicts our heart does not help when us desire Him to lead us in other areas.

James describes this kind of person as double-minded. We "mind" the flesh and our feelings one momemt and then we're "minding" God and His truth the next. My lesson yesterday showed me there is a verse to help for this in Romans 6:11 "Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord." The Christian life is not an easy life to live because of this warring sinfulness that dwells in us. As my lesson pointed out today, though it isn't easy, it isn't complicated. Our complications are usually the natural consequences of going our own way. But even at that, the way out of those complications is always a series of simple choices. By asking ourself, "In this thing or that thing before me, am I going to please God or please myself?"

As a Christian, we should quit living like we have to obey our indwelling sin and start living unto God. People often go by their feelings rather than reckoning God's Word to be true and because God said it.

I have been doing this very thing of being double-minded in my thinking--squelching the Holy Spirit and choosing to obey my flesh because that was where I was comfortable. OUCH!

No comments:

Post a Comment